Monday, July 7, 2014

The Color of Paradise

The Color of Paradise is an Iranian film that revolves around a young boy who is blind.  The movie starts off with the boy waiting for his father who is late picking him up from school.  His father, who desperately wants to be remarried, does whatever he can to have the boy out of his life as he sees his son as an obstacle to his plans.  The acting is well done and the boy does an amazing job reaching out and connecting with the viewer. The movie takes place in the Caspian Sea region of Iran. I was touched by the beauty and the interplay of the children as they played in the fields.  This is my favorite region of Iran.  It made an impression on me when we went to visit relatives in this same area.

While the movie is profoundly beautiful it follows what we have come to expect in such Iranian movies where tragedy seems to loom around every corner.  Be prepared to laugh, smile, be hurt and yes cry.  I am not one to welcome such experiences but this movie was so beautiful it still resonates in my heart and mind.  I still reflect on the meaning and wonder at the many questions that arise in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment