Saturday, July 5, 2014

Diva

Diva is a French movie filmed in 1981.  It is a beautiful story about the intertwining lives of musical diva, an obsessed fan, musical pirates, corrupt police, dark henchmen,  a French "Mr. Cool" and his Vietnamese side kick.  The movie brings all these characters together in a fluid and well written story.  The movie relies mostly on its dialogue and the story of the lives that come together throughout the story and the effect they have on each other.  The ending is both profound and beautiful.

This was the very first VHS movie I ever purchased.  This is the first French movie I had ever seen and may be partially responsible for my love of french movies.  Whenever I hear the aris from La Wally I am forever linking it to when it is sung by Wilhemenia Wiggins Fernandez who also has a role in this movie.  It is this aria that links everything together and the thread of the movie from the beginning to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment