Friday, May 30, 2014

Derek

Derek is a Netflix original series filmed in Great Britain.  It stars Ricky Gervais as an orderly in a small nursing home in England.  I was hesitant to watch the show at first but gave it a shot.  I saw the first episode and was so taken that I watched the whole first season in one shot.  It was well acted and heartwarming.

The series finds you following the staff and to a degree the residence of the home.  The characters seem over the top at times but the overall fit works.  The older folks are quite convincing in the role of the residents.  I found myself laughing and at times brought to tears.  Ricky Gervais had fallen a bit for me with his obnoxious twitter posts but this show redeemed him for me.  He plays a very endearing role.

No comments:

Post a Comment